Fall in Love with Double Duty Beetroot Pasta
Like everyone else, I’ve been self-isolating at home with my partner for the past few weeks. During this time, my social feed has been flooded by great tips on stretching pantry basics to supplement grocery shopping. It’s been nice to learn new ways to flex ingredients I don’t often use. I mean, who knew the humble chickpea could be used in brownies and burgers?!
I’m a foodie and I love trying new things and even during this time, when food feels a bit more like survival, I’ve been on the lookout for a great multi-purpose recipe. During one of my deep dives on Netflix, I came across a gem, Nadiya's Time to Eat. Nadyia won the BBC's Great British Bake Off in 2015 and has gone on to host several mouthwatering shows since. In Nadyia’s Time to Eat, we explore stress-free recipes and her best time-saving tips to help at-home cooks spend more time with those who matter.
This concept works during non-pandemic times, but I think it fits well even in our current climate. If you’re working at home like me, food has maybe started to feel a bit like a chore. There’s no change of scenery and making dinner is less like an adventure and more like a game of Tetris. If you’re not working, food might have started to feel like something that just needs to be done, and a bit daunting if regular income isn’t coming in.
Here’s where Nadyia’s beetroot and feta pasta comes in. This bright and surprisingly easy dish checks the dinner list in so many ways. First off, pasta, beets and dill are super inexpensive and the only splurge here is the feta. Second, it takes more time to boil the pasta than the sauce on this one, it’s that crazy easy. And finally, this recipe makes two batches of sauce so you’re making two dinners at once.
You’re gonna love this!
Prep time: less than 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 15 mins
Serves 5, Vegetarian
500g any pasta (organic is always better!)
7oz feta cheese
Handful of fresh dill, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the sauce
600g cooked beetroot, drained (use fresh like I did!)
1.5 cup olive oil
1 tsp fine salt
4 garlic cloves
1 large red chilli (with or without seeds OR, 1 sweet Italian pepper)
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the packet.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Put the beetroot into a blender and add the olive oil, salt, garlic and chilli. Blend to a smooth paste. Put half of the sauce into a small zip-lock freezer bag, seal and freeze – now you have another batch of the sauce ready for another meal.
- Crumble the feta cheese into a bowl, add the chopped dill, then drizzle over the lemon juice and mix.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, drain and put back into the pan. Pour in all that beautiful beetroot sauce and mix through. Tip out on to a serving dish and sprinkle over all the feta and dill mixture.
- Drizzle with a little extra olive oil for good measure before serving.