A Full Moon Self Care Ritual
We're always up for a reason to indulge in some self-care and no time seems more perfect than with a Full Moon Ritual. October offers us a beautiful Hunter's moon on Sunday the 13th (which also happens to be Thanksgiving), and we're about to welcome it with a mix of journaling, reflection, and self-care.
A full moon signals to us the close of a period of time and the start of another. It gives us a chance to reflect on what we've accomplished, how we've changed and how we'd like to move forward. It's also a really great time to reflect on our self-care habits and routines and adjust accordingly, whether it's to switch moisturizers to a heavier cream or add a skin-soothing serum, or to take a break from our toner, a monthly full moon facial is the perfect time to introduce and replace skincare.
This ritual doesn't have to take much time and you can do it with friends or family too!
Set the Mood
First things first, as the sun sets, light some incense or candles (or both). Dim the lights in the house and turn off devices, TVs, and other bright and distracting lights. You can play a little calming music too.
Take a few moments to begin the ritual by writing down a gratitude list for the month before. Think of everything that you are thankful for that's happened in the last few weeks and jot down anything that comes to mind when you feel a warmth of gratitude fill you up.
Intentions for the Month Ahead
Let your creativity guide you into setting intentions for the upcoming month. Think about where you are and what you can accomplish in a few short weeks. Make sure your list inspires you to take action.
DIY Facial Routine
The first thing we like to do once we've gathered our thoughts is to gather our products. We're going to cleanse, exfoliate, tone, apply serum, and do double hydration, then finish with our most powerful affirmations.
- Cleanse: Wash skin gently and remove all makeup.
- Exfoliate: Using a mild exfoliant, gently scrub the skin to remove dry skin and dead cells.
- Tone: mist with a light hydrosol or pat a gentle toner all over the face.
- Serum: With warm hands apply serum all over the face, pressing it into the skin. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Double hydration: Smooth on a lightweight lotion or cream, massaging it into the skin. Wait about ten minutes and apply a second layer.
- Affirmations: Repeat your most powerful intentions for the month and or your favourite daily affirmations.